Definition of Wellness
The truth is wellness is a tough word to define. That said, we’ll leave it to Charles B. Corbin of Arizona State University who gives this definition of wellness: “Wellness is a multidimensional state of being describing the existence of positive health in an individual as exemplified by quality of life and a sense of well-being.”
Wellness is an active process of becoming aware of and making choices toward a more successful existence.
- Process means that improvement is always possible
- Aware means that we are continuously seeking more information about how we can improve.
- Choices means that we consider a variety of options and select those in our best interest.
- Success is determined by each individual to be their collection of life accomplishments.
Dimensions of Wellness
If wellness is multidimensional, what are the dimensions of wellness? The most commonly described sub-dimensions are the following:
- Social Wellness
- Occupational Wellness
- Spiritual Wellness
- Physical Wellness
- Intellectual Wellness
- Emotional Wellness
- Environmental Wellness
- Financial Wellness
- Mental Wellness
- Medical Wellness
Vocational Wellness and Environmental Wellness are not personal in nature, but a person’s working and physical environments are factors that influence personal wellness. Research is necessary to clearly establish the relationship among the sub-dimensions. While the exact dimensions of wellness could be debated, we believe the ones listed here make up a good list.
Ultimately, the dimensions of wellness all fall into two broader categories, being mental and physical. This is critical to note, as the mental or emotional component is often overlooked as focus on such main staples as physical fitness and chronic disease risk factors. In order to achieve a state of wellness in our own lives or try to guide others to it, we must pay due diligence to each of the dimensions. We may not all be physically fit or free from disease; we can, however, strive for increased wellness by working with what we’ve been dealt.
Articles on The Dimensions of Health and Wellness
The following articles provide additional information about the dimensions of wellness and other related topics.
- Wellness Wheel
- Wellness Monitor
- Wellness Assessment
- Wellness Calendar
- Wellness Definition: Why?
- What is Wellness?
- Sleep Wellness
- Stress Wellness – Relaxation Wellness Techniques
- Women’s Wellness Exercise
- Women’s Wellness Nutrition
- Work Wellness – Time Management
- Physical Activity and Protein Calculator
- Benefits of Healthy Living