Dimensions of Wellness: Intellectual Wellness
Traveling a wellness path, intellectually, you’ll, explore issues related to problem solving, creativity, and learning. You’ll spend more time appreciating and thinking about the scenery along the path-pursuing interests, reading books, magazines, and newspapers, You’ll discover a natural interest in keeping abreast of current issues and ideas. As you develop your intellectual wellness curiosity, you’ll actively strive to expand and challenge your mind with creative endeavors. On your path, you’ll begin to see problems and challenges not as stumbling blocks but stepping stones.
- As you travel the wellness path, you’ll begin to believe that – intellectually.
- It’s better to stretch and challenge our minds with intellectual and creative pursuits than to become self-satisfied and unproductive.
- It’s better to identify potential problems and choose appropriate courses of action based on available information than to wait, worry and contend with major concerns later.
Intellectual Wellness Assessment
Almost always = 2 points Sometimes/occasionally = 1 point Very seldom = 0 points
_____ 1. I am interested in learning new things.
_____ 2. I try to keep abreast of current affairs – locally, nationally, and internationally.
_____ 3. I enjoy attending lectures, plays, musical performances, museums, galleries, and/or libraries.
_____ 4. I carefully select movies and television programs.
_____ 5. I enjoy creative and stimulating mental activities/games.
_____ 6. I am happy with the amount and variety that I read.
_____ 7. I make an effort to improve my verbal and written skills.
_____ 8. A continuing education program is/will be important to me in my career.
_____ 9. I am able to analyze, synthesize, and see more than one side of an issue.
_____ 10. I enjoy engaging in intellectual discussions.
_______ Total for Intellectual Wellness Dimension
Score: 15 to 20 Points - Excellent strength in this dimension.
Score: 9 to 14 Points – There is room for improvement. Look again at the items in which you scored 1 or 0. What changes can you make to improve your score?
Score: 0 to 8 Points – This dimension needs a lot of work. Look again at this dimension and challenge yourself to begin making small steps toward growth here. Remember: The goal is balanced wellness.
Tips for Maintaining a High Level of Intellectual Wellness
- Take a course or workshop in something outside your major and minor — a PE or an art class, for example
- Learn (or perfect) a foreign language.
- Seek out intellectually inspiring professors — learn the art of add-drop
- Subscribe to an interesting journal or newsletter — you’ll get a regular dose of intellectual information
- BUY A BOOK! — any book, or check some out from the library
- Learn to appreciate art — attend exhibits, plays, musicals, and poetry readings
- Explore different ways to use spare time — intellectually stimulating ways to pass time include crossword puzzles or board games like Scrabble and Chess
- Learn basic nutrition and exercise regularly to maximize brain functioning — many nutrients are essential to good memory and concentration